The 178-acre ALMONO brownfield site in Hazelwood was once home to two of the largest steel manufacturers in the Southwesten Pennsylvania region: Jones and Laughlin Steel Company (J&L) from 1884 to 1974 and Ling Temco Vought (LTV) Coke Works 1974 to 1998. LTV shut its gates in 1998, leaving behind a virtual ghost town of rolling mills and sheds, blast furnaces, coke ovens, and rail transport arteries. Within a year, over 90% of the site was demolished. Due to contamination, the area needed to be de-commissioned of asbestos, petroleum, PCB removal, and other environmental hazards. Despite the environmental challenges, the actual geographical location of the former site is on prime river front property adjacent to the community of Hazelwood.
|From Hazelwood, Almono Site
In 2007, The GTECH team, then policy graduate students at the Heinz College, initiated an independent feasibility study sponsored by the Institute for Social Innovation to pilot the idea of transitioning vacant space through proactive, productive green strategies, specifically biofuel crops.
View GTECH Strategies Sites in a larger map
Through a partnership with Carnegie Mellon University’s Field Robotics Center, Bidwell Training Center, and RIDC, GTECH piloted its Bioenergy Garden reclamation model on the brownfield, growing switchgrass, sunflowers, and over 500 hybrid populars. The project demonstrated the applicability of GTECH’s model to large-scale industrial and former industrial sites, as well as commercial and residential sites.